Booting from large microSD (SDHC) [success]

Lothar Behrens lothar.behrens at lollisoft.de
Sun Dec 21 00:49:00 CET 2008

Hi,

I have now also a 16 GB SD card (SanDisk/SDSDQ-016G-E11M)
but I didn't get it run with my ASU 2008/9 from Tue, 16 Sep 2008 and
uboot 1.3.2-moko12.

Here is the problem: After fisrt boot I couldn't use fdisk, because it
couldn't access anyhow.
Then after another reboot I was able to do it.

Here is my first partition:

root at om-gta02:~# fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1936.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 15.9 GB, 15931539456 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1936 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

         Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1               1         487     3911796  83 Linux

Command (m for help):

But I cannot mount it at /media/card because I haven't the device.

Isn't that device created automatically ?

How to create one (mknod, block type, but what mayor minor) ?

Thanks

Lothar

Am 10.11.2008 um 23:27 schrieb Marian Flor:

> Am Montag, den 10.11.2008, 00:33 +0100 schrieb Lothar Behrens:
>
>> I had some more look about other cards about 8GB, but if there are
>> more users having success,
>> I will buy this card.
>
> "The iPhone and the N810 support 16GB microSD so why shouldn't the
> Openmoko?" was my guess and so I gave it a try.
>
>> Especially when the eaten MBR problem was only once a problem. Was
>> it ?
>
> No. My MBR was never fragged (This would have been be fatal for me on
> the next morning. Of course I mean the _card's_ MBR ;-) ). The
> filesystem (ext2) got whacked by a suspend or "unsynced" halt command,
> so that fdisk did not recover upon boot.
>
> But I was able to fix the filesystem on the microSD by a manually
> fdisk
> from the other linux on the internal flash memory. Switching to ext3
> may
> also help, but make sure that your sd card supports wear leveling. In
> the other case ext3 may shorten the lifecycle of the card. Also,
> mounting the microSD with "-noatime" should lower the stress (and
> extend
> the lifetime) of the card.
>
> Anyhow. It seems a good advice to keep a copy (printed or dd) of the
> microSD's MBR  in a warm and dry place apart from your Freerunner.
>
> A kind closing note: Please place your answer _under_ the quoted text
> next time.
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FAQ#On_the_lists_on_lists.openmoko.org.2C_should_replies_be_added_above_or_below_the_original_text.3F
>
> regards,
> Marian