[debian/fso] Re: starting kde on debian

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Sun Dec 21 01:51:37 CET 2008

> if I may ask an other question:
> how can I add new programs to zhone/freerunner: I would like to use an
> agenda, navigation prog (something like tomtom), and a today screen.

to zhone as such: not at all.
zhone is basically a sandbox to test features of fso.
so far it is the only frontend to place calls, read sim contacts and
send/receive sms.

so, what you intend is achieved by installing a window/desktop manager,
xfce seems to be the one widely used.
read
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian
and the XFCE section in particular.
afterwards zhone runs as simple application.
for agenda osmo seems to be the one that fits best, it contains calendar,
contacts management and so on -- but is in no way integrated with zhone,
ie the contacts are not available there (there's a simple patch to zhone
that makes it read the vcf-file of osmo, but that's for another day ;-)
navigation is possible via either tangogps or navit, while tangogps is in
the debian repository there seems to be no debian/armel package available
of navit (yet).
for both apps you need to install fso-gpsd.

debian uses apt, so that's the tool to install/uninstall/upgrade/search
packages.
in /etc/apt/sources.list the repositories are listed -- unless you know
what you do it is not recommended to fiddle with it.
the first step is usually to do

apt-get update

that updates the list of currently available packages and thus even allows
to make upgrades:

apt-get upgrade

shows a list of packages for which newer versions are available and asks
for confirmation

apt-get dist-upgrade

upgrades even crucial packages like the kernel.
to install a particular package (or several) use

apt-get install packagename

to find a specific package, say osmo, use

apt-cache search osmo

you get

gosmore - Openstreetmap.org viewer / wayfinder / search client
ifrit - a powerful tool for visualizing 3-dimensional data sets
liblua5.1-cosmo0 - A template library for the lua langua version 5.1
osmo - personal organizer for GTK+
osmo-dbg - Debugging symbols for osmo

easy to see that the package names are to the left.
you can even search for generic terms like

apt-cache search navigation

the list is much longer, but with the short description you might be able
to filter and then do

apt-cache show packagename

for a more detailed description.
to uninstall you should use

apt-get purge packagename

purge removes even configfiles, if you want to keep them use remove
instead.

the simpliest way for you should be

apt-get update && apt-get install nodm xfce4 osmo

configure according to the link above.