[OM 2008.12] Enlightenment Drop Shadow Performance

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Sun Dec 21 18:44:27 CET 2008

FWIW, I have been able to reduce the CPU usage of Enlightenment on my
OM testing build device by disabling drop shadows. After recent
updates from testing (which should be more or less the 2008.12 image)
Enlightenment was constantly grabbing 20% CPU and who knows how much
IO. After I obliterated the drop shadow module,
(/usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/dropshadow) only 1-2% CPU is being
used.

Moreover, I remembered some recent post(s) tentatively linking the
Software-16 crashes (when using the illume theme) to drop shadows. On
a whim I re-enabled that engine and am not seeing any problems. So,
now I get a snappier UI to boot.

--
Dylan Maxwell Reilly