[OM 2008.12] Enlightenment Drop Shadow Performance

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Dec 22 09:07:45 CET 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:52:09 +0900, "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au>
wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 10:04 +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:13:59 +0100 "Bernd (Jesus McCloud) Prünster"
>> <bernd.pruenster at gmail.com> babbled:

> my
> image)

> On
>> > >

>> > WOOHOO!!! you made my day
>>
>> dropshadow shouldnt cause 20% cpu - unless some totally bizarre stuff
> has been
>> done to the theme:
>>

> Running the illume theme: Not sure about the cpu - but removing
> drop-shadow does stop the segfaults when running software_16 engine.
> Also the Settings app now runs, and for a short while at least I had a
> gsm signal level (maybe too low where I am at the moment).
>
> Billk

I've seen Enlightenment running between 18% and 30% most of the time
lately, with SHR.  And I just discovered I am able to drop it to 3%-5% and
bring it back through a single change:  I've been tweaking some Oxygen
icons and using them under SHR -  256x256 png versions.  (Why?  Well, I
like my icons big, but I hate them pixellated)  Anyway, changing from the
256x256 Oxygen icons to the 86x86 SHR icons dropped me from 30% to 5%,
restoring the big Oxy's brought me right back to 30%.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)