Stage of GTA03 development?

Justyn Butler justynbutler+openmoko at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 22 12:50:33 CET 2008

This is all very interesting (and sad, of course).

2008/12/22 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>:
> less than 1/3 the cost. as best i know anyone selling pre-made "3g modules" so
> you dont have to set up your own production is charging in the range of
> $100-$300 per module (depending who you go to and the volume you buy). this is
> where someone developed the module (did what nokia/apple etc. do) and now
> re-sell their work. 1-offs i have seen for sale for $250 or so for a 3g module.
> buy in bulk and you get a discount of course (thus the $100-$300 range). and the
> fewer suppliers in between the better.

The Telit UC864-G mentioned on the MokoForesight page is a global 3.5G
module with built-in GPS. I don't know of it's actual suitability for
OM.
http://www.telit.com/en/products/umts-hsdpa.php?p_id=14&p_ac=show&p=14

This company, Round Solutions, sells it:
http://www.roundsolutions.com/uc864.htm

And they have a price list:
http://www.roundsolutions.com/pdf/Price-Modules-GSM.pdf

Which lists it at €145 for 100-500 quantity. That is around US $200.

Clearly very expensive. But the quantity we are talking about Openmoko
buying is at least an order of magnitude larger, so I wonder how much
below $200 the module could be bought. And it does integrate the GPS
chip (a small saving there though).

Anyway, I thought some people might be interested in a solid example
with pricing. It is costly, that is for sure.

I'd still be interested to see how much the UC864-G costs when buying
in bulk of 10K. Can anyone else find figures for this?