Stage of GTA03 development?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Dec 22 13:40:28 CET 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:50:33 +0000 "Justyn Butler" <justynbutler
+openmoko at googlemail.com> babbled:

thanks for the good numeric example. as you see - it's pretty much the ballpark
i was talking about - and yes - u'd get a discount, but you may find the $200
goes to $100 - at best if u order > 1k most likeley - more likely $120 or so.
to get below that as best i know, you need to do your own module yourself - not
buy a pre-made one, and thats when you make a leap into needing 100's of
thousands of units at a minimum - if not a million to 10 million or so. only
then can you begin to really compete.

i know it sucks :( but as of right now - it's a reality of the game. not to
mention companies like nokia own a raft of 3g patents (one of the reasons its
so expensive is the patent nightmare surrounding it). now think of it this way
- imagine 80% of the cost of a 3g module is patent fees (i imagine it is) or
profit on patent fees if resold. hardware isnt that incredible - but the IP
on top of it it is the costly thing. now if you are nokia and own lets say...
30% of the patents in 3g... you may pay $20 per unit in "royalites" but really
- $6 of the $20 just goes right back into your pocket - so your money goes from
pocket A to pocket B - now that $30 part just went down to $24. not bad eh? :)