[OM 2008.12] Enlightenment Drop Shadow Performance

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Dec 22 16:54:42 CET 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:23:42 +1100, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 03:07:45 -0500 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us>
> babbled:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:52:09 +0900, "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au>
>> wrote:

> on
>> > my
>> > image)
> much
> being

> the
> shadows.
>> > On
> So,

>> > has been
>> >>

>> > Running the illume theme: Not sure about the cpu - but removing
>> > drop-shadow does stop the segfaults when running software_16 engine.
>> > Also the Settings app now runs, and for a short while at least I had a
>> > gsm signal level (maybe too low where I am at the moment).
>> >
>> > Billk
>>
>> I've seen Enlightenment running between 18% and 30% most of the time
>> lately, with SHR.  And I just discovered I am able to drop it to 3%-5%
> and
>> bring it back through a single change:  I've been tweaking some Oxygen
>> icons and using them under SHR -  256x256 png versions.  (Why?  Well, I
>> like my icons big, but I hate them pixellated)  Anyway, changing from
> the
>> 256x256 Oxygen icons to the 86x86 SHR icons dropped me from 30% to 5%,
>> restoring the big Oxy's brought me right back to 30%.
>
> icons include battery too?

I'm just replacing the 'desktop' icons in the launcher, using
Settings->Look->IconTheme.  I had expected that it would take longer to
initially display the launcher, with much larger png images to load and
scale, but thought that once they were loaded and scaled it would perform
essentially the same as smaller icons enlarged - literally the ONLY thing I
do is select Oxygen vis SHR in "Icon Theme" and HUP enlightenment, and with
the Oxys it sits there "idling" at an average about 27% CPU...

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)