[debian] LXDE?

mqy meng.qingyou at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 18:10:39 CET 2008

Better to add a swap partition, or swap file. Else you will get out of memory
error when for example apt-get install something. Here is my /etc/fstab:

The 3rd line is for swap, make sure to change the first column to your
partition device.

If you can not create new partition for swap, just add a swap file. Refer
to:

http://www.go2linux.org/Swap-memory-increase-with-swap-file
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-September/031106.html

Better to start openmoko-panel-plugin, else you will get frustrated by the
matchbox keyboard (suppose you choose it):

Add a new line to file /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart:

@openmoko-panel-plugin

With the panel plugin you can easily hide/open the keyboard. BTW, the
openmoko frameworkd and panel plugin eats quite a bit memory :)

Maybe it's a good idea to move the tray from bottom panel to (newly created)
top panel.

To do this, add a new file (named for example top-panel) in
/root/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/

with the content of

Then

(1) remove the tray from /usr/share/lxpanel/profile/LXDE/panels/panel

(2) OR just copy this file to dir /root/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/, rename
it to "config" -- this overrides the default panel configuration.

The biggest problem of LXDE on touch screen phone is UI. To do right click,

install libgtkstylus and add it to ~/.xsession:

export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so

xsetroot -solid black # strange

exec startlxde

NOTE: do backups before modifications.