Stage of GTA03 development?

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Wed Dec 24 14:19:02 CET 2008

Sargun Dhillon wrote:

> Additionally, why are we expecting 3G from OM, they are having a hard
> time getting a phone right. Why are we holding them to the same
> standards as Apple, HTC, etc... Apple can't get 3G in the iPhone for
> two years.

For which they were heavily criticised because smartphones (and not so smart
phones) in Europe had had 3G for years.
3G is not a special feature any more, it's pretty basic in most handsets.

The FR, with it's all-touchscreen interface and open nature *could* be
forgiven for not having 3G. It's a shortcoming, but it's forgiveable when so
much of the rest was at least near the state of the art - Linux, GPS, uSDHC
etc.

If 03 is released in a year or so without 3G it will have fallen way behind,
especially as the touch screen control is no longer unusual.

If the hardware is fixed at this point then, well, sorry, but OM ought to
revise it.