New on screen Keyboard for Hackable1 and Debian written in Python

kris Occhipinti metalx2000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 20:44:40 CET 2008

Hello,

I've created a new on screen keyboard for the Freerunner.
I designed it for Hackable1.
I tried to make it as finger friendly as possible and use as much screen
space for buttons.
I've only been working on it for one day but it's pretty usable.
Like Hackable1, it's still a little ruff around the edges.

Here is a link to the script
http://www.filmsbykris.com/freerunner-debian/ko-keypad/ko-keypad
you need to have xautomation installed (apt-get install xautomation)
If can install xautomation on om2008 then this keyboard shouldl work on it
aswell

It's hard to describe my keyboard but I'll give it a try

The keyboard is a 12 button keypad.
Each character takes 2 keypresses.
instead of the normal keypad like on your cellphone where you have to press
each key 3 or 4 time
to type one letter and then you end up passing the letter you want and have
to hit the key 3 or 4 more times
and you have to wait if 2 letter you want are on the same button.
This keypad will change all 12 keys to the characters on the button you
choose.
there is a Space button on each key
and if you hit the wrong key there is a blank button next to the space key
to back out.
keys are sent to a temp line before you add them to the final line (but any
thing in the temp line when sending keys will be add)

---todo list---
1) backspace button
2) create list for drop combo box of last 25 or 50 things typed
3) make the sending of keys a little more efficient

I would really love some feed back
Like I said, it's still a little ruff around the edges.

Kris