Package categories for opkg

Minh Ha Duong haduong at centre-cired.fr
Thu Dec 25 15:29:13 CET 2008

Le mardi 23 décembre 2008, Pander a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> At the moment these are the opkg categories (as seen on http://opkg.org):
> Would it be more appropriate to use the relevant Debian/Ubuntu dpkg
> categories?
> While looking into this, perhaps a new category called GPS needs to be
> added to the Debian/Ubuntu world.
> In short wat was the reason for these alternative categories and is this
> consolidation of categories welcomed?

Hi,

 It is nice to see someone interested in this question again. Last time we
discussed it on the "documentation" mailing list, there was a consensus to:
- Adopt as a reference the freedesktop.org applications categories.
- Deviate from it when there is a good reason to (because we recognize that a
freesmartphone is not a freedesktop !).
- Eventually go back upstream to them with our propositions.

This is not only relevant for opkg.org, but also for projects.openmoko.org,
wiki.openmoko.org, package managers and "main application launcher".
Because these are decentralized, it will be especially hard to get the same
category list everywhere. I think we are in need for a champion, someone who
will work diplomatically with others towards harmonizing the categories.

Minh