[2008.12] Enlightenment not starting anymore.

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Thu Dec 25 18:25:38 CET 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 16:15:51 +0100, "Ivar Mossin" <ivar.mossin at gmail.com>
wrote:
> anyway), it gives a clue. It is looking for the file
> /usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/default.edj, which does not exist.
> But
> this is strange, as it didn't exist on the jffs2 flash image either.
>
> I thought something had gone wrong with enlightenment, so I decided to
> reinstall e-wm by using opkg e-wm remove. This was not possible without
> removing most of the installed software on the phone, so I decided to
> ignore
> its dependencies by using:
> $ opkg remove e-wm -force-depends
>
> Then I wanted to installed it again from repository:
> $ opkg install e-wm
> Installing e-wm (0.16.999.050+svnr37988-r0.1) to root...
> Collected errors:
>  * ERROR: Package e-wm (parent e-wm) is not available from any configured
> src.
>  * Failed to download e-wm. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
>

> What is this message actually saying? Apparently it does find the e-wm
> package in the repository (as it's able to find its versioning numbers),
> but
> then reports e-wm not available? How do I install this package?
> root at om-gta02:~# opkg list | grep e-wm
> e-wm - 0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01 - The Enlightenment Window Manager
> Version 17
> e-wm - 0.16.999.050+svnr37988-r0.1 -
> e-wm-theme-default - 0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01 - The Enlightenment
> Window Manager Version 17

You need to "opkg update" - somehow you've got two versions of e-wm listed
in the local (IE on the FreeRunner) package list.  I'm not sure how that
happened, unless you added a repository to the config.  (check in
/etc/opkg)   "svnr36882-r14.01" is the latest in the OM2008 repository,
which matches with the svn versions of the other enlightenment packages
you're seeing in 'opkg list', I don't know where it's getting the reference
to "svnr37988-r0.1"...  When you run 'opkg upgrade' or 'opkg list' it's NOT
looking at the repository itself, it's looking at the package list locally
on the FreeRunner that is constructed during 'opkg update'.  THAT list
contains a 'newer' version of e-wm (37988) so it picks that one, being the
newest, but cannot actually find the package in the repository when it
tries to download.

For a quick fix (which might fix enlightenment but not address the cause of
this problem) try:
opkg install
http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk
opkg install
http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm-theme-default_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk

That second one is the 'real' fix to your original issue - it contains
/usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/default.edj.  I looked in my NAND (I
usually run SHR from uSD but have 2008.12 on NAND) and sure enough there
are illume.edj and asu.edj in that folder, no default.edj.  I can only
assume that they'd reconfigured it to use asu.edj instead of default.edj,
but that a newer e-wm requires default.edj again.

But again, none of this answers why it's looking for a newer svn version of
e-wm than is actually in the repository, which makes me suspect that a repo
was added somehow that contains the svnr37988-r0.1...  It's not in 2008.8
repo, testing, or unstable AFAICS.  So the steps I'd suggest are try
manually installing the two packages noted above, then take a look in
/etc/opkg and see what repositories are referenced, remove any
inconsistencies, then try 'opkg update' and 'opkg upgrade'.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)