us network and Uuntu 8.10 - is there a better way?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at
Fri Dec 26 16:47:46 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Alexander Chemeris
<alexander.chemeris at> wrote:
> What is wrong here? What you've shown is a correct operation
> as far as I can see. May be you wanted "ifup"/"ifdown" instead
> of "ifconfig up"/"ifconfig down"? Former are scripts which parse
> "interfaces" file and setup things as described, while latter
> are simple commands to bring interface up/down.

Aha, you're on to something:

tingo at kg-home:~$ sudo ifdown usb0
ifdown: interface usb0 not configured
tingo at kg-home:~$ sudo ifup usb0
 * Stopping NTP server ntpd
tingo at kg-home:~$  * Starting NTP server ntpd

tingo at kg-home:~$ ifconfig usb0
usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 1e:2f:4c:2b:d2:53
          inet addr:  Bcast:  Mask:
          inet6 addr: fe80::1c2f:4cff:fe2b:d253/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1620 (1.6 KB)  TX bytes:3679 (3.6 KB)

It seems that it still works by using the ifdown / ifup scripts.
annoying that good old ifconfig doesn't work anymore, but I can live
with that.

> PS And consider using "ip addr" and friends instead of venerable
> "ifconfig". "ip" command is newer way of operating network
> interfaces.

Hmm, I found that one. What's up with that? Whay are they changing the
established way of doing things?
AFAICT, the ip command is a Linuxism.
Not everything is better just because it is new.

Continued Happy Holidays to all!
Torfinn Ingolfsen