[debian] navit: rendering is slow

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Fri Dec 26 23:47:45 CET 2008

arne anka wrote:
>> If you installed the precompiled navit version
>
> did not see a precompiled armel deb yet, so ...
There are precompiled navit packages for opkg at [1] which can be
extracted and installed within debian.

>> i would suggest to compile it from source yourself.
>
> ... that's what i did.
> with emdebian and apt-cross it's not hard to get everything installed to
> cross compile on my pc -- and thankfully the source from svn contains the
> debian package parts already.
I compiled navit directly on my fr which takes quite some time because
i'm still too lazy to set up cross compile on my linux server. ;)

>>> - is there a tweak to make rendering more responsive (eg by rendering
>>> less
>>> detailed?)
>> You have to enable the fast-map-drag patch by hand. Therefor you have to
>> add drag_bitmap="1" to the navit tag (like recent_dest) in navit.xml.
>
> ah! sounds good. what exactly are the advantages?
Florian Hackenberger wrote a mail in this list where he posted a
fast-map-drag patch for navit. This patch reworked some internal graphic
output things which makes the dragging of the map much faster than it is
with the original code. This patch is now included in the navit sources
but by default disabled because it is not compatible with all possible
OS on which navit can be compiled.

If your are interested in an exact description of what this patch does
than you can look back at the mails from 17.08.2008 with subject "Navit
patch for faster map dragging".

Ciao,
     Rainer

[1] http://download.navit-project.org/navit/openmoko/svn/