[2008.12] Enlightenment not starting anymore.

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Dec 27 04:10:22 CET 2008

http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk

http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm-theme-default_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk

> [...]
>>
>> But again, none of this answers why it's looking for a newer svn version
> of
>> e-wm than is actually in the repository, which makes me suspect that a
> repo
>> was added somehow that contains the svnr37988-r0.1...  It's not in
> 2008.8
>> repo, testing, or unstable AFAICS.  So the steps I'd suggest are try
>> manually installing the two packages noted above, then take a look in
>> /etc/opkg and see what repositories are referenced, remove any
>> inconsistencies, then try 'opkg update' and 'opkg upgrade'.

>> --
>> Joel Newkirk
>> http://jthinks.com <http://jthinks.com/>      (blog)
>> http://newkirk.us/om <http://newkirk.us/om> (FR stuff)
>

> Thanks for you quick reply.
>
> What you wrote could indeed be true. I remember I tried installing
> mplayer that day, which I didn't find in the repositories. But I did
> find it in the angstorm repository. So I added this repository,
> updated, installed mplayer and removed it (the repository). I've
> checked and double-checked my current /etc/opkg files, and they seem
> sane. Also compared with what is on the flash-image.
>
> So, if this is the case, how do I make opkg "forget" what the no
> longer included angstrom repository says about available packages? I
> tried deleting /var/lib/opkg/*, 'opkg update' and both versions of
> e-wm still show up on list.
>
> I tried installing the package you suggested:
> $ opkg install

http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk
> Downloading

http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk
> Multiple packages (e-wm and e-wm) providing same name marked HOLD or
> PREFER.  Using latest.
> Multiple packages (e-wm and e-wm) providing same name marked HOLD or
> PREFER.  Using latest.
> Installing e-wm (0.16.999.050+svnr37988-r0.1) to root...
> Collected errors:
>  * ERROR: Package e-wm (parent e-wm) is not available from any configured
> src.
>  * Failed to download e-wm. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
>
> but apparently opkg is smart enough to pick the newest version. Then I
> tried downloading the file manually and run 'opkg install ./e-wm-0.16
> ....' with the same result. I looked at 'opkg --help' and tried some
> options like -force-reinstall, -force-downgrade etc, but I couldn't
> get opkg to install the package. So here I'm stuck again.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is there a way for actually force
> opkg to install the package I want? Is there a way to manually install
> the opk file, like unpacking it, moving the files to its' correct
> locations and updating the opkg database files to include information
> that the package is in fact installed? Any other options?

Angstrom is up to svnr27988 now so I'm guessing that's exactly where it got
that.  It's a BAD idea to do an upgrade from a 'foreign' repo - pulling
specific packages from a different feed is one thing, but letting it
autonomously replace whatever it wants is a recipe for a broken system...

take a look with "opkg list_installed | grep e-wm" and see what version of
e-wm is currently in place.

You tried "opkg -force-downgrade install
http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk"
and it failed?    Either it's already/still installed (the 27988 version)
or Angstrom is still in the opkg repo lists in /etc/opkg, so if that failed
maybe try "opkg -force-depends remove e-wm;opkg install
http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/e-wm_0.16.999.043+svnr36882-r14.01_armv4t.opk".

You can open up an ipk with "ar x {pkgname.opk}" which will give you
control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz (the latter contains the files) but I'd
advise against trying to install most things that way...

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)