Damn... 8GB dead

Paul paul at nlpagan.net
Sat Dec 27 15:33:01 CET 2008

> I do not know if it is the case, but I just saw an interesting message
> on linux-kernel from H. Peter Anvin:
>
>  > I have seen flash cards die permanently from having a partition table it
>  > didn't like written to it.  Yes, the microcontroller on the flash card
>  > tried to interpret the partition table, assumed to be MS-DOS style, and
>  > would crash.

The ultimate weird thing I just found out is: as long as I use the card
in the FR, I can partition it anew. I now put one 8GB ext3 partition on
it, and that works. As long as the card stays in the FR.

Fascinating. At least it's not entirely dead. :o)

Interesting article, though. Thanks for sharing that!

Paul

--
..a man who's willing to make a decision in the first place
can always make another one to correct any mistake he's made.

http://www.nlpagan.net
Running on Mandriva Linux 2009 and Ubuntu 8.10