Need help to create a french illume keyboard

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Dec 28 00:56:37 CET 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 08:34:14 +0100 Xavier Cremaschi <omega.xavier at gmail.com>
babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) a écrit :
> > as such composing is not supported. the intent is for the dictionary
> > to make
> > that much easier - for disctionary words it decimates:
> >
> > é -> e
> > è -> e
> > ö -> o
> > ñ -> n
> > etc. - that means you just type "n" and this can match n,N,ñ,Ñ etc. (think
> > strcasecmp - but a wider range).
> >
> > so this means you can dumbly type in basic latin text and it will fill in
> > the accents for you in the possible matches. this should almost always be
> > faster and less toublesome that the mountains of composition combinations.
> Mmm therefore I should not have the last version (Om2008.12 here), as :
> - élégance is a french word and is in my dictionary
> - I wrote elenance (made a typo)
> - suggestions are : elenance, flamands
>
> How can I check that ?

the problem is that there is a utf8 parsing bug in the dict - it was fixed
recent;y in svn, 2008.x will likely not get the fixes for a long time. but now
dict matching is VERY slow.

> > for
> > when it isn't in the dict (a name for example of a place or person) then
> > there is the "numbers" layout that lets you put all the accented chars you
> > like there
> > - complete.
> >
> > so that's how it works NOW. so it's possible to enter - you just need to add
> > chars to your default .kbd layout if you must have them, for the occasion
> > you MUST enter something not in the dictionary (remember it learns so you
> > only have to enter it once), then you need to flip to some alternate .kbd
> > with all the accents.
> >
> Ok so I think I will just maximize the key size and display :
> - normal letters
> - caps + normal letters = capital letters (caps stays locked, cool for
> shouting)
> - shift + normal letters = a selection of common accented a e i o u
> And maybe also another Numbers keyboard with just 10 huge numbers (typo
> on PIN = hazardous).
>

> An idea to increase the height of the keyboard area ? (editing
> illume.edj maybe ?)
> And is it possible to instantiate the keyboard through ssh -X for
> screenshoting ?

that's determined by the .kbd "virtual" resolution (at the top of the .kbd
file) :) Default.kbd ends up determining it (it retains aspect ratio and
expands to fill the screen width - thus height scale accordingly).

as doe screenshot - compile e for your desktop - run in xephyr/xnest. life gets
much easier if you do your dev there. :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com