[Android] on SD card

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Dec 29 13:05:56 CET 2008

Hi,
i have android booting from SD card. It wasn't that hard to make it work.

You will need SD with one ext3 partition. Download and unpack tarball
from here [1] and boot with Qi [2]. First boot take quite a lot of time.
Then it will be faster.

You can also compile from sources [3] and put the rootfs together
yourself. You just have to put together what is in
out/target/product/freerunner directory and add kernel (either the
Sean's [4] or andy tracking[5]). I have attached my script which does
this [6]. Last this is to modify init.rc file so that it mounts SD card,
you can find it attached or here [7].

While Android boots or later you can attach to it with adb like this:

ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200
adb kill-server
adb shell
adb logcat

I hope this helps us with killing bugs that Android on FR currently has
(suspend, power off, GSM crashes, ...)

Cheers

Radek

[1] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/openmoko/android/rootfs.tar.gz