How do you like to read a phone number?

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Mon Dec 29 14:59:36 CET 2008

Michele Renda, 2008-12-29 13:27:45 +0100 :

> Il 29/12/2008 13:20, Roland Mas ha scritto:
>>    For France (+33), the usual format is +33 # ## ## ## ##
>> (international format) or 0# ## ## ## ## (without the international
>> prefix)
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> I have a question: this is valid for every number? (both Fix and
> Mobil?)

  Yes.  Normal numbers in mainland France are 10 digits (including
initial 0), as well as most special numbers (toll-free or
premium-rate).  That includes landlines, mobile phones, and the
numbers provided by most ADSL ISPs when they provide VOIP to their
subscribers.  A few special numbers are shorter, such as the directory
enquiries, some 4-digit numbers for rapid access to some large
corporations or entities, and some 6-digit numbers that are (as far as
I know) mostly used for sending SMS at a premium rate and get
something in return (ringtones, background images, horoscopes and so
on).

> And for you... for example... when you dial a number, is more easy
> to read a number in this format +33 # ## ## ## ## ?

  My personal preference is +33 # #### ####, but it is not very
common.  Most people don't know (or don't want to see) the +33 part,
and they usually see (and write) five pairs of digits.

> and the last question... there is a rule in France to separate a
> fixed number / mobile number?

  Yes, although the IP/telephony convergence is blurring the line a
bit.  Historically, 01 to 05 numbers (+33 1 to +33 5) are geographical
numbers corresponding to landlines.  06 numbers are mobile phones.  08
numbers are for special rates (toll-free or premium-rate) as well as
VOIP.  VOIP numbers are theoretically migrating to be 09, but not
everyone knows or uses their 09 number.  Also, some VOIP providers
give numbers that look like they're geographical, whereas some others
give out 08 or 09 numbers.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_France has all the
details.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's
warm for the rest of his life -- Solid Jackson, in Jingo (Terry Pratchett)