gsm0710muxd and OM 2008.12

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Mon Dec 29 15:33:01 CET 2008

Hi Jan,

I had the same problem and found an even dirtier sollution ;-)
I found that sometimes gsm0710muxd will give an /dev/pts/X but you can
not use it, there is no response from the modem.
And sometimes even stopping gsm0710muxd and starting it again would not
help.
so in order to have it working all the time i modified
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/89qtopia

just below
export QTOPIA_PHONE_MUX=ficgta01

i added:
#-------------------------------------------------------
echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on
sleep 2
/etc/init.d/gsm0710muxd stop
sleep 2
killall -9 gsm0710muxd
sleep 2
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on
sleep 2
/etc/init.d/gsm0710muxd start
sleep 2

identvar=$(date +%s)
ptsvar=$(dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call
--dest=org.pyneo.muxer /org/pyneo/Muxer
org.freesmartphone.GSM.MUX.AllocChannel string:$identvar | grep string |
awk -F '"' '{ print $2 }')

export QTOPIA_PHONE_DEVICE=$ptsvar
echo $QTOPIA_PHONE_DEVICE
#-------------------------------------------------------

(the ptsvar line is one long line, it might be chopped up in the mail)
In my opinion, this will reset the modem no matter what.
and i removed gsm0710muxd from all run levels
( update-rc.d -f gsm0710muxd remove )
I am using stock 2008.12, nothing from another repro.
So far this is working flawlessly for me.

Inspired by the [FSO/SHR/debian] SMS location app, i wrote some scripts
to check for an incomming SMS and send me the GPS location of my FR.
So i needed the gsm0710muxd to read the SMS, while still being able to
use the phone.

Kind regards,
Ed