How do you like to read a phone number?

Alexandre Ghisoli alex at ghisoli.ch
Mon Dec 29 17:18:36 CET 2008

Le Tue, 30 Dec 2008 03:04:32 +1100,
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster at rasterman.com> a écrit :

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:34:00 +0000 George Brooke
> <solar.george at googlemail.com> babbled:
>
> > On Monday 29 December 2008 14:16:15 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> >
> > > 1234 5678 (call from the 02 area code - i.e. NSW only)
> > I may be wrong but (at least in UK) you don't need to worry about
> > the local version of the number as mobiles need the full version
> > with area code.
>
> same in .au - for mobiles, i'm just extending the problem in a
> generic way to "landlines". just illustrating the "fun" of the
> system. :)

I suggest to work with E.164 numbering scheme only. In this case, you
can populate your address book in full international number, without
taking care of your location (i.e. don't add prefix when outside of
your area / country).

Now, it will be useful and really nice to have an presentation number
shaper. It will automagically arrange the number you enter or your
caller party number in a nice fashion, depending of your local
preferences.

But remember, today, with VoIP, some operators did not present number
according to the ITU or RFC formats. So it will be hard to catch all
the possible scenarios.

BTW, it's not so hard to detect your operator's country, E.212 specify
operators numbers and names, so FR could adapt the rules depending the
operator ;)

--
	Alexandre Ghisoli