How do you like to read a phone number?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 23:01:11 CET 2008

On 29 Dec 2008, at 12:00, Michele Renda wrote:
> I try to explain: when we read a phone number we usually like to
> separe
> it with some spaces or signs:

I'm in the UK; I would most always format a number so that the last 6
digits are in two groups of 3. This generally means reading a 4 or 5
digit area code first, then "321 <pause> 456".

The wikipedia article posted by someone else tends to confirm the "4
or 5 digit area code first" for me, as it states UK numbers to be 10
or 11 digits long.

Note, however, that I would most always use "0207" or "0208 xxx yyy"
for London numbers - I personally would not use "020", or group the
"7" or "8" with the next set of digits. This is probably because I
remember when they changed London numbers from "01" to "020" and then
subsequently added the "7" & "8" depending upon whether the
destination was in inner- or outer-London respectively.

Stroller.