How do you like to read a phone number?

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 30 00:27:35 CET 2008

2008/12/29 Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk>:

> Note, however, that I would most always use "0207" or "0208 xxx yyy"

Need one more "y" there: "0207" or "0208 xxx yyyy".

> for London numbers - I personally would not use "020", or group the
> "7" or "8" with the next set of digits. This is probably because I
> remember when they changed London numbers from "01" to "020" and then
> subsequently added the "7" & "8" depending upon whether the
> destination was in inner- or outer-London respectively.

But technically, I believe that "020" is the area code - in the sense
that when you're using a landline in an 0208 place (i.e. outer
London), you can call "7xxxyyyy" without dialling the area code, and
vice versa.  For this reason I personally prefer writing "020 [78]xxx
yyyy".

     Neil