How do you like to read a phone number? (India users)

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Tue Dec 30 12:44:24 CET 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:48:55 +0100
Michele Renda <michele.renda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Il 29/12/2008 13:45, Carl Lobo ha scritto:
> > Try
> >
> > http://www.ashesh.net/blog/downloads/PDF/Mobile_Telephone_Number_Codes_India.pdf
> >
> > Seems to be accurate from first glance.
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Michele Renda<michele.renda at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >

> Hello to all Indian Openmoko Users,
> I am preparing the Indian dialplan: I have some (for you) stupid question:
>
> 1) All your mobile phone number usually start witt
> (092/093/092/097/098/099) so your international phone number start with
> (+9192 / +9193/ etc.) ?

That is not a complete list. I know for sure that there are
at least 94 numbers.

> 2) In the provided pdf file there are only mobile phone number. There
> are some city name. What it mean? Is the city where the sim is sold? :)

Are you referring to the two-letter entries like MP, AS, etc.?
These correspond roughly to states, not cities, and probably
do refer to the state where the SIM was bought, which is usually
well-correlated to the state that the user resides in. There is
a table naming the states on page 4. I am also not sure how
reliable these are.

> 3) In the same pdf I saw:
>
> RIM ‐ RELIANCE INDIA MOBILE (CDMA)
> CELLONE‐ BHARAT SANCHAR NIGAM LIMITED
> TATA INDICOM (CDMA)
>
> that seem to don't have any prefix. Is correct?
[...]

The above are telecom. operators, so presumably they have been
allocated some prefixes that are either not tied to a locality,
or have not yet been put into use.

Regards,
Gora