Getting deleted SMS back / Freerunner as a card reader?

Peter Mogensen apm at bigendian.dk
Wed Dec 31 12:13:10 CET 2008

Hi,

A friend of mine asked if he could get some accidentally deleted text
messages back from his SIM card - so I started looking into how a SIM
works and how to communicated with it.

It seems that there's no AT-commands which will give you deleted
messages - right?
If AT+CMGR or similar will get you a deleted message, than that's of
course the easy solution.

I can see that there's several "mobile forensic" products on the market
which seems to be just smart card readers with the right software. I
have a smart card reader, but I have not tested if it takes SIM cards
(or RUIM cards ... have to find out), but I figured, that another easy
solution was to access the card-reader directly in the FreeRunner if the
hardware allowed for that.

So, can the SIM card in a FreeRunner be accessed like a card reader on a
serial interface?

/Peter

PS: Any other solutions are welcome, btw :)