Mono development in openmoko

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Fri Feb 1 19:05:22 CET 2008

Well, the problem is, that .NET is owned by Microsoft and (partly?)
available under a shared-source-license that allows to see the code, but not
to use it. Microsoft has patents on .NET and even if Mono is free - it
implements .NET and there might be problems if Microsoft decides to use
their patents against mono-users/programmers.
Unfortunately so called "open standards" doesn't mean open-source - it means
you can get a license for using Microsoft's ECMA-standardized functions for
a "adequate" fee.
You may want to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)#Mono_and_Microsoft.E2.80.99s_patents