support for using yyyy-mm-dd (2008-01-31) date format in Wiki and elsewhere

Joachim Steiger roh at
Mon Feb 4 23:48:35 CET 2008

Ian Darwin wrote:
> No, they cannot. That is always, always year-month-day. It is an ISO
> standard, is used in many countries (see the Wikipedia link in the OP),
> and has been standard that way (maybe not de jure, but widely used) for
> at least thirty years. The other is very commonly used both ways, split
> between the US and other parts of the world.

i fully agree.

lets use yyyy-mm-dd

its totally clear to use it since it gives the slowest changing number
first and the fastest changing last (especially when adding a time (in
UTC of course ;) ) AND it also gets sorted correctly by machines.

please do not get me started about how chinese do count years (its '97
now, you know?) or how germans do it ('/' instead of '-' and starting
from the other end) ;)

kind regards

Joachim Steiger
developer relations/support