solar power

Jon openmoko at snowulf.com
Sun Feb 10 04:25:35 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 7:01 PM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at openmoko.com> wrote:

> Andy (or anyone else),
> if the whole back of the Neo would be a solar panel, and you would put
> it back side up into direct sunlight, say for 5 hours, how much could
> that charge the battery?
> Could you operate the phone without a battery (and without USB) power
> if you were standing in sunlight?
> Just curious, thanks for any answers,
> Wolfgang

Howdy,
While I think it would be awesome - I don't think there are any solar panels
efficient enough to charge near USB specs, that are that small.  If you take
a look at:
http://yosemiteoutside.com/m/Blogs/02EA4A6B-8893-4F3E-87A8-C1E4B24C3AAB.html,
he uses something called "PowerFilm" (
http://store.sundancesolar.com/po6v10flsopa.html ) for an iPod charger.
Regardless of that, the solar panel is 6v @ 100mAh (which could be
"adjusted" to meet get similar to USB specs).  The problem is that the film
is 4.5" X 5.9" for that "little" power.  I really don't think the back of
the Neo is enough room for a useful sized solar panel.

Of course, that being said - a small solar panel could be used to trickle
charge the battery.  It won't give you 100% charge in the 5 hours you want -
but at least it'll keep you running a little longer.

-Jon

PS.  I'm no expert on solar panels, there may be better/more efficient
panels to use.