Patents and OpenMoko

Vasco Névoa vasco.nevoa at iol.pt
Tue Feb 12 12:48:27 CET 2008

Hi. Sorry to barge in like this, but I don't quite understand the problem to begin with...
Isn't open source code by definition protected against subsequent patents?
It is part of the patenting process to search for conflicting publications; if they find any, then the candidate idea is not a novelty and cannot be patented. Publishing is the best weapon against (subsequent) patents: cheap and effective.
I think we should just add some way to automatically timestamp every code check-in in a legally binding way, like using some outside certification entity's digital signature (that carries a legally recognizable timestamp).
An open-source public repository is a valid publication of ideas, which are therefore not patentable.
What do you think?