Interview with Raider Realm

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Tue Feb 12 23:10:51 CET 2008

Hi Christopher, and the entire community,

Christopher Earl wrote:
> I read the Raiders Realm interview with Michael Shiloh Here is the excerpt I will am talking about
>
> "RR: So is all of the hardware you have for this FCC certified and ready to use on different networks?
>
> MS: Yup.  Absolutely.  Now it is a GSM based phone, both models, which means they
> both use a sim card and the GSM network which is pretty common here in the states, but much more common
> in the rest of the world.  But there are some areas in the states that don't have coverage for that.
> But that's pretty small.  In fact, I think it's virtually negligible."

> My question is of the 'Negligibility' of this issue. I do not know . nor do I claim to know,
> the number of GTA01s sold in the united states, and the ratio of those phones which found homes
> in GSM 850 areas.

Nor, sadly, do I. I should not have used this expression. I had thought
that most of the USA is covered by other frequencies, but I really don't
know the facts, so I should not have made such a claim. I apologize, and
stand corrected.

> I would like to request a confirmation that this issue is being seriously addressed.

> I have sent three separate emails this month and not one person can tell me if I will EVER be able to
> send my GTA01 in for repair. I will cover the cost of shipping. Unfortunately I was one of the sorry
> bastards to get my device before this was a known issue. Im not asking for anything for free, nor do
> I wish to cause anyone a hassle. I only wish that the apparent few of us whom live in a GSM 850
> Dominate state can get their devices repaired, at our shipping cost. If the answer is "
> I dont know","maybe in a few months" or somthing like that, fine. I just want to know IF I can count on
> OpenMoko/FIC to rectify this issue now or in the future.

I apologize for the lack of a response. I did receive your email and due
to limited resources have simply not been able to respond until now.

Regarding the issue of support for the 850MHz band on GTA01, I had tried
to make this extremely clear in the original post and in the followup
discussion. I apologize if I failed in this regard.

We are not able to make the necessary changes to any of the shipped
GTA01 units. For those of you who have the skills and equipment, we are
not able to instruct you in making such a modification yourselves.

Sincerely,
Michael Shiloh