Interview with Raider Realm

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Wed Feb 13 02:17:17 CET 2008

> It sounds like Michael was talking about GSM in general. The area not
> covered by that indeed does seem negligible in the US. You have got a
> different issue. From what I picked up, it is not reasonably possible
> to change the hardware in a GTA01 to support the 850 Mhz band. The
> best option you have is probably to sell your GTA01 and get a GTA02
> that supports 850 Mhz when they become available.
>
> Ortwin

this is correct.

due to limited resources we had to decide to rather focus on gta02 and
make 850MHz possible there instead of finding a reasonable process on
reworking gta01.

the point is that ((shipping and manhours doing it) + (the time to set
the whole logistics and process up / number of possible wanted reworks))
just gives a very unrealistic number which makes it even cheaper to
directly go to gta02-850 and sell the gta01 to somebody who can use it
in 900mhz-land.

reworking requires lots of time due to the high packaging density inside
a phone and also measuring equipment which we only have in asia.
(which generates hassle with customs, taxes, etc.. you really do not
wanna know ;)
its not only changing firmware in gsm and exchanging a few parts. it
also needs to be recalibrated.

to sum it up:
the status is that a 850mhz rework for gta01 for 'the masses' is not
possible.
please bear with us that this was not a decision taken lightly.

--

Joachim Steiger
developer relations/support