Yet Another Map Application
asch at freemail.hu
Sun Feb 24 15:30:54 CET 2008
I am happy to announce the shiny new release of Yet Another Map
Application - Yama in short :-).
Yama is capable of viewing openstreetmap.org maps on PC and on OpenMoko.
* OFFLINE vector based maps in an own format optimized for viewer
* zoom, rotate(not implemented in SWT GUI yet), move around free
* compiler for OSM and Garmin(in format polish text) maps
* rendering template is stored in xml, can easily be edited
* can load any maps at the same time without performance degradation
* free software under GPL :-)
Yama is written in Java so you have to install Jalimo on your device to
use it. See the quickstart wiki page:
* To get it wok on your PC or OpenMoko see quickstart page on Yama's
* There is an applet version that you can check out in a minute (you
only need Java plugin 6 installed on your browser):
* For some documentation see: http://yamamap.wiki.sourceforge.net/
* To compile the offline version of OSM for your area see:
There is no .ipk package yet. I will create that soon!
I would be happy to get feedback from you about the software!
I have no Neo device yet so this version was not tested on OpenMoko.
Previous version was - I hope it still works.
Yama is still pre-alpha - work is in progress. I wonder the performance
of floating point arithmetics on Neo with Jalimo. There is an
undocumented command that runs a simple performance test. Would someone
be so kind to execute it and send me the results? You can execute it
with the following command:
$ java -jar yama.jar measure
Results on my notebook are:
process load binary file N 1000 takes: 462 millis
process transform to earth coordinates - N 1000 takes: 601 millis
process transform to screen N 1000 takes: 141 millis
process transform to screen using float N 1000 takes: 139 millis
On my Windows PDA (300MHz ARM) with MySaifu JVM the whole test runs for
about 15 minutes. I hope Cacao (JVM of Jalimo) performs better on Neo
More information about the community