Community update: Regarding Neo FreeRunner pre-orders

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 25 19:56:27 CET 2008

Hello,

A number of times you have asked about pre-orders. Here is the official
word from our VP of Marketing:

Over the next couple of months you will see the following 3 announcements:

1. When the production hardware is solid and signed off, we will
announce pricing and availability. That is, we will announce the
expected price and the expected date on which the web store will open.

2. When the first production run is complete, we will announce that.

3. When the phones reach the distribution centers in Europe and USA, we
will open the web store and begin taking orders.

We are actively looking at pre-orders, but as discussed in the past
there are a number of very difficult complications in taking pre-orders.
We think the best solution is to build 10 times as many phones as we did
the last time, so that pre-orders will not be necessary.

As many of you know, ramping up a factory for production is not
instantaneous. We plan to do a number of pre-production runs to iron out
manufacturing issues and to assure high yield. These pre-production runs
will occur before the official production run, so that when we make
announcements 2 and 3 above we will be highly confident in our ability
to manufacture and deliver a very large number of handsets.

Regards,
Michael