Community update: Regarding Neo FreeRunner pre-orders

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Mon Feb 25 22:48:08 CET 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> Ivo Anjo wrote:
> >>  3. When the phones reach the distribution centers in Europe and USA, we
> >>  will open the web store and begin taking orders.
> >
> > Does this mean that it will be possible to purchase openmoko from
> > inside the EU, so there are no random customs taxes? That would be
> > great!
>
> Hi Ivo,
>
> That is certainly our intention, which is why we have been trying to set
> up distributors in as many places as possible.
>
> The only one I know of so far is in Germany. Since that's in the EU,
> that should work for you, right?

It would work, but the rate of sales tax is fairly high in Germany. Under EU
rules, Europeans can buy stuff from anywhere in the EU, and pay the sales tax
rate prevalent in the country where the shop operates instead of the rate in
their home country.

If FIC setup a web shop in a European country with a low sales tax rate such
as Belgum, Europeans buying Freerunner phones could save around 10% compared
with buying from a German web shop.

Having said that, it is not a huge cost, and having a web shop any where in
Europe is a great improvement over importing from the Far East.

--
David Pottage