FW: FAX2PDF with OpenMoko?

Martin fredthecat at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 10:05:47 CET 2008

Someone wrote:

>>> Never ever will a GSM module be a G3 Fax. (IMHO)
>>> And everything else is just hell. Fax and software don't go well
together.

and someone wrote:

>>> Sending analog FAX over a GSM line will not offer good results if it
>>> works at all. GSM codec is optimized for transmitting voice. The
>>> characteristics of GSM and the characteristics required by FAX is
>>> completely different.

It appears quite common for GSM modems to support fax over CSD at speeds
up to 9.6kbps.

When I had a Sony p800 a good few years ago, it came with a fully fledged
fax send and receive service.

Normally, you need a separate "fax" mobile number (see
http://support.rfsolutions.co.uk/faq/content/8/56/en/gsm-modem-dial-in-csd-fax_data-call.html
)

See previous posts from a year ago that discuss this and seem indicate
that this is feasible.

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/002654.html
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/002660.html
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/002708.html

This functionality would be useful in the UK because not all companies
even use email yet, and some still require written communication.

regards

Martin