GutenFlash

Gilles Casse gcasse at oralux.org
Wed Jan 2 10:04:28 CET 2008

Bartlomiej Zdanowski [Zdanek] wrote:
> Any chances to implement speech syntethiser to read the text? I think
> there's a one on OpenEmbedded.

Hi Bartlomiej!

Thanks for mentioning this.

Yes, in the short term, a talking text reader can be written: it would
open a document, and then read it.

The most attractive would be to implement the accessibility middleware
(atk/at-spi from the GAP project), welcoming then alternative rendering
solutions (screen reader, magnifier,..). We could then imagine to point
a smallish paragraph and see it displayed instantaneoulsy full screen.

Regarding the TTS, yes, Flite, a light English TTS, is already in
OpenEmbedded.

Btw, we hope also to propose our bitbake recipes for eSpeak and
Speech-dispatcher. The current integration is available in mokotts:
http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/mokotts/

eSpeak has been customized to include a PulseAudio driver. Another
alternative is to use Alsa (Pulse/Alsa can be selected in the Speech
dispatcher conf file).

Best regards,
Gilles