noise while making a phone call: hardware or software?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Fri Jan 4 03:50:30 CET 2008

Richard Reichenbacher wrote:
>>From what I can tell the noise comes and goes.  When I'm in a good signal
> area I really don't hear it but when I'm in a bad signal area it's very
> loud.  I asked Lorn Potter what he thought and he said it was probably a
> software issue.

If I was told that was the problem, and I said that sounded like
software, I was probably wrong. :)
That problem sounds like it might be radio interference.

There _is_ a problem with the level of some of the mixer elements in the
default gsmhandset.state, though, which seems to cause echo type of thing.

> Although I'm not too sure because I get the same sound if I
> set the phone next to my computer speakers.  So maybe the case is that the
> microphone is too close to the GSM modem or the connection from the
> microphone to the board isn't shielded well enough.

Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech