Kernel upgrade by ipkg

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 10 02:09:57 CET 2008

Graeme Gregory wrote:
> This has been a long requested feature and its finally ready to be
> unleashed on the world.

One less pleasant feature of this ipkg is that a freshly built rootfs
image will still execute /usr/lib/ipkg/info/kernel-image-*.postinst
which then wipes out the hard-coded /dev/mtd2. On GTA01, this is indeed
the kernel, while it's the u-boot environment in GTA02 ...

You've already discussed this issue with Andy. I'd suggest to just
grep /proc/mtd for the right partition, and fail if it's not there.
That way, we also don't have to worry about getting bitten after any
future changes we may make to the partition layout.

Thanks,
- Werner