Neo security: running everything as root, and lacking a root password (was: Re: root)

Christopher White chris at grierwhite.com
Fri Jan 11 03:42:01 CET 2008

Regarding security and mobile phones..

I recently read an interesting interview with Mikko Hypponen, chief
research officer of F-Secure in IIEE Security and Privacy (Nov/Dec 07).

He touched on the topic of security and mobile phones, even mentioned
that he has received four worms on his mobile phone (they didn't infect,
as he had antivirus protection), all variations of the Cabor or the
CodeWarrior worms.  One was beamed to his phone from a passing car,
likely from an infected phone.

The most interesting point he makes is that while infecting computers
can indirectly be costly (identity theft, time spent, loss of critical
data, etc.), infecting mobile phones can be *directly* costly.  This is
due to the built in billing system in mobile phones.

I would imagine lack of a serious attention to security might be a
barrier to wider scale deployment, particularly in a business
environment.  As the device will potentially carry highly sensitive data
such as contacts, email, even documents, security will be key.

...cj