root

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Fri Jan 11 16:50:15 CET 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 5:56 AM, Schmidt András wrote:
> In my opinion there is nothing that the root account can protect on
> a single user handheld device.
> Phones are normally used single user.
> When an application gets the rights for that user then it can access
> all personal information and all network resources (Wifi, GSM
> network). What else remains? What resource would you protect with
> the root account?

If this is a sincere question, I'd really encourage you to give the
OLPC bitfrost spec a read:

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

Unfortunately, the conclusion you've drawn is completely wrong.   I'm
very interested in the OLPC Bitfrost work - I think it has application
in the wider sphere of Linux implementations, and the OpenMoko
environment is a classic case.