community update, Thursday, January 10, 2008

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 11 19:33:37 CET 2008

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 10.01.2008 um 22:20 schrieb Michael Shiloh:
>> We're still testing the hardware and gathering up little issues before
>> determining whether we need to create another version of the board. We
>> still expect to start shipping Neo FreeRunner sometime in the next few
>> months. As always, we can't be more specific, because we're not sure.
>
>> That's all for now. As always, I welcome your feedback, questions,
>> comments, and concerns.
>
> Michael,
> many thanks for this update.
>
> One nitpicking question is about interpreting the word "next few
> months": does it mean something between 3 and 7 months from now? I.e.
> April to July?

As I've explained numerous times, we can not give exact dates. I won't
promise you that GTA02 is ready to ship until there are boxes sitting in
our distribution facility in Fremont. I will, however, continue to
report on the progress we make as we move towards that goal.

I chose the expression "next few months" carefully. It is vague because
I'm not sure. If I were sure of anything more specific I would have said
that.

> Or does it mean a version shipping with final software to end-users but
> developers can get it earlier?

The vague range of "next few months" is for the developer version.
Consumer ready software will be more months after that.

> And, if it is the developer device that comes in the next few months -
> how long is the GTA01 device still available (despite all its known
> problems), since some projects can't wait and need a development and
> test platform and prototype/demonstrator units...

GTA01 will continue to be sold until we sell out. I'm not sure of the
exact count, but if you need a small number for development right now
there should be no problem. If you need a large number you should
contact us off-list (probably the best person is our VP of sales,
steve at openmoko.com) and discuss your specific needs in terms of quantity
and schedule.