CAD files for the case of the Neo will be made available

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Mon Jan 14 20:59:17 CET 2008

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 11:14 AM, Jeremiah Flerchinger
> <jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, you did say they were going to try and make CAD files available.
>> I'm happy to hear further confirmation back so soon.  Hopefully it won't
>> take too much longer to get the files.  DXF files should also be fine.
>> I know of several free editors that can import these natively or with a
>> plugin (although not all of them export dxf files).
>
> What is your favorite Linux CAD tool for actual 3D work?

This would be excellent information to add to the wiki.

I am not a CAD designer, but I work with many designers and machinists.
Of course none of them are Linux users.

I did a little research and found many commercial products for Linux. I
presume we are more interested in FOSS CAD tools.

The one that stood out to me was Blender. It's designed for much more,
but 3D CAD is a solid part of its job.

My girlfriend is a product designer. I gave her a Linux computer with
Blender installed in the hopes that she will figure out how to use
Blender and then teach me. Her initial impression was that Blender is
excellent for this kind of work.

Michael