what's not functional?

Tom Kunz tkunz at solidrocktechnologies.com
Tue Jan 15 04:23:59 CET 2008

Hi All,

I've just joined the list, but I've been following openmoko off and on,
at a distance, for several months now, maybe it's been a year or so.
Over time, I've heard of various things that did or didn't work, how
useful/successful the phone is for everyday use, etc.  At this point, I
revisit the site and I find that its potentially viable at least as a
phone I can use on a day-to-day basis, provided I charge it frequently,
right?  I am familiar with the gumstix.com platform for doing some
non-phone embedded stuff, but now I've got some projects that really
require using an honest-to-goodness phone.

Since it seems that openmoko has evolved quite a bit over the last year,
it seems more appropriate to ask "what *doesn't* work" rather than "what
*does* work".  It seems that things are substantially developed,
although of course not perfect.  If I buy a devel kit, what can I expect
to *not* work, or work marginally?

Thanks,
Tom