New to OpenMoko

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 17 14:03:01 CET 2008

Carlo E. Prelz wrote:
>         Subject: Re[2]: New to OpenMoko
>         Date: Thu 17 Jan 08 01:11:13PM +0100

> Quoting Michael 'Mickey' Lauer (mickey at openmoko.org):

>> > No, openmoko uses GTK.
>>
>> Yes, the current incarnation. There are various interest groups
>> working on different and higher level APIs. I'm very confident that we
>> can distill the best framework out of all these initiatives. This is
>> the open source way

> As long as you do not decide to precipitate from C to C++...

Well, first, it will be less of a decision, but rather something like survival
of the fittest. Second, compiled languages are fine for performance
critical stuff. Coding application logic in a scripting language makes
much more sense to me. At the end of the day, efficiency at creation
time can matter more than efficiency at run time. I expect this to be
an important factor in the future -- if not already.

> PS any news of a model with a QWERTY keyboard, a-la Nokia E61i? This
> would be much welcome (at least from me)

Same here :)

Regards,

:M:

--