digital compass modules

Schmidt András asch at
Wed Jan 23 15:01:59 CET 2008

Sébastien Lorquet wrote:
> I'm not sure a magnetic sensor is useful when you have a GPS, because
> a GPS can give you a heading as soon as the measured velocity is not zero!
It is true when you use it in a car when cruising with normal speeds.
When you are using your GPS on foot (installed with a hiking map) your
velocity's direction is not well defined enough and also when you stop
for navigating you usually turn a different direction than you were
walking. (I would use my device this way when hiking or geocaching -

Also sometimes I get fed up with the GPS and navigate using old
fashioned paper maps. A compass always comes handy ;-).