France : Taxes for video and mp3 playing capacity

Steven Le Roux steven at
Fri Jan 25 03:04:05 CET 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:00:26 +0100, "Pietro \"m0nt0\" Montorfano" <monto84 at> wrote:
> Schmidt András ha scritto:
>> In Hungary there is tax on every _empty_ Compact Disc and DVD. The
>> concept is that you will store warez mp3 on them. So when I archive my
>> personal photos or software projects I pay tax for the recording
>> companies.
>> SA
> Oh, in Italy there are no software patents but there is a stupid tax
> like that in Hungary, a tax that you pay on each thing which has the
> ability to store datas (empty CDs, HDDs,...), that's because you could
> "potentially" store something like illegal MP3s, illegal videos and
> pirated copy of anything, so that tax is made (if i can remember well)
> to refound the damage that anyone is subject.
> Cya
> Pietro

Well, offcialy it's not a taxes for illegal ustilisation but for an exception for private copy.
The joke is the major want to blow up this private copy, but still want to get money from the taxe.

this, more the fact that I can't stand any american/french/whatever Idol and I don't want to pay for that.

Maybe OpenMoko could be the only platform which could not bring out-of-box an audio/video player.

It's not about money, I prefer to give the taxe amount directly to openmoko as a donation (paypal button is missing ;) )...

Steven Le Roux
steven at
xmpp:steven at