France : Taxes for video and mp3 playing capacity

Colan Schwartz colan at openject.com
Fri Jan 25 16:00:58 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:57:05PM +0100, Stefano Cavallari wrote:
> I'd like FIC to sell mp3 software including in the cost the license to play
> mp3, along adding a notice (for the countries which need it) that the phone
> isn't licensed to play music and that if needed the support must be bought
> later.

I definitely don't think FIC (or now Openmoko) should include the cost
(if there is one) of the licence to play MP3s.  I don't want to pay
that, and I don't think anyone else should either.  I'm happy with just
Ogg and FLAC files.  Maybe an MP3 library can be downloaded separately,
like the way most Linux distributions handle DVD playing.

If you want to pay for MP3s, don't make me pay for it as well! ;)

And I really like that speeding ticket analogy.  This tax that assumes
guilt is insane.  I don't understand how modern democratic justice
systems can tolerate it.
-c.
--
Colan Schwartz