GPS/Cell phone patent issue

hank williams hank777 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:00:56 CET 2008

Today I blogged about a
company<http://whydoeseverythingsuck.com/2008/01/are-apple-rim-and-google-all.html>that
has a patent on what  I would call the essence of putting a GPS in a
cell phone.

I provided some details on the patent in my blog, but the essence of the
story is covered in this excerpt:

"It appears that, in essence, the patents cover a phone providing current
location information to a remote database which returns to the phone a
collection of location centric information. According to the patent
application, this location centric information could include real estate
information, such as homes, condominiums, etc, but also parks, restaurant
menus, services offered, hotels, hotel availability, and on and on."

This, it appears, is an incredibly broad patent with major implications.

Hank