GPS/Cell phone patent issue

joerg joerg.twinklephone at gmx.de
Sat Jan 26 01:11:24 CET 2008

> In other words, like it or not, if this patent is valid (who knows)
> and its scope is what it looks like (I'm not a lawyer) it will have a
> significant impact on the *phone* world.
In other words, *you* consider GTA to be a *phone*, nothing else and not
beyond. You're kidding?
Like it or not, the GTA/OpenMoko is a *computer* with built in GSM-modem, and
i don't think many of the customers will opt for an off-board solution that
fails when leaving GSM coverage area, while they got the cpu-power to
calculate the route and may *easily* feed the hilarious amount of 256MB map
data to their 4GB local storage, thus saving the 1.5$ per server-side route
calculation off-board.

This "patent" might have impact on future forms of advertisement, or even on
the fee you have to pay for off-board route calculation (if you think you
need such a stupid thing), but i don't feel it will influence any of the
things i ever could imagine i plan to do with a GSM enabled PDA.