GPS/Cell phone patent issue

Gilles Casse gcasse at oralux.org
Sat Jan 26 03:42:42 CET 2008

Hi,

Today, as already mentioned, Navit can use embedded maps from
OpenStreetMap or proprietary maps. Since France is not yet very
detailled in OSM, I am using an european map bought online, more than
2GB of flash are needed.

Nevertheless, even with these data, it would be interesting to
dynamically populate the map using an external database (for example
cinema currently playing a film, etc...).

I met also recently such issues in looking naively for possible haptic
applications, for example simply activating the vibrator when a key is
pressed. It seems there is a wall in this realm (search keyphrase:
"haptic patent portfolio"). Is such a simple feature legal or not in a
free software? what are the bounds (countries, features) ?  Without
clear advices, sadly some development in this area will be delayed or
even not started.

Gilles